Where is the Anthropology?

Something that I thought might help in showing the interesting ways that anthropology is all around is to have a picture of the month. This will be of anthropology importance; a place, activity or a person that has to do with anthropology. I will give a clue a week to give everyone an opportunity to figure out what the picture is and the anthropological importance and how it applies. At the end of the month or the beginning of the next month, I will have a write up about the image.

Let me know what you all think about this and feel free to participate.

Cahokia Mound

Since February is a short month, I will only have three Clues for this picture before I reveal the pictures secrets. Good luck!

First clue: this is located in the New World, even though you might think it is in Europe. What is this and where is it located?

Second clue: these people have left behind no written records that have been found and archeologists have no idea where these people originated. They have no past or name to help identify them. Archeologists have given them their own unique name after the place they where found. What are these people called?

Third clue: this civilization is located off this countries longest and widest river. These people are known for being “mound builders”. Where are these people located and who are they?

At the beginning of March I will reveal the pictures hidden Anthropology and have another picture to tantalize the Anthropologists in you.

The answer is the Mississippian people mounds at the Cahokia MOund state Historic Site in Illinois. Tp read more about this site and the amazing people go to:

Where is the Anthropology?: The Mississippians of the Cahokia Mounds in Illinois on this site or go to the offical website of the museum at http://www.cahokiamounds.com/cahokia.html

About these ads

Comments

• Bethany  On February 21, 2008 at 5:26 am

I can’t seem to find the actual picture?

• Making Anthropology Public  On February 22, 2008 at 6:34 pm

The picture is the website heading photo. Until I find a better way of loading pictures into the type. I am still working out the bugs.

• jim  On February 23, 2008 at 4:02 am

is it in the midwest?

• Making Anthropology Public  On February 25, 2008 at 6:15 am

Good guess. I am glad to see a few people trying to figure out the picture. I think the last clue has given it away.

• ashleebones  On February 26, 2008 at 3:52 am

Is it in Iowa? That’s not really mid west though, or is it?

• Making Anthropology Public  On February 28, 2008 at 3:46 am

Iowa is a good guess too. And I am glad to say that I have figured out how to work with pictures better. So, hopefully I can improve the blog with some of my new graphic skills.

• ashleebones  On February 28, 2008 at 11:36 pm

Does “good guess” mean no? So, it’s not in the midwest? Would it be illegal to just start guessing states? hehe. This is tough! I like it! :)

• ashleebones  On February 28, 2008 at 11:43 pm

I forgot to include my guess… Mississippi?

• Making Anthropology Public  On February 29, 2008 at 1:08 pm

“Good guess” does not mean no but that your getting close. And again, I would say that Mississippi is another Good Guess! Going thruoght all the states would take awhile, I do not think I would try that, it would take to long and the month is about over.

• ashleebones  On March 8, 2008 at 4:00 am

So, what is the answer to February’s picture? I can’t seem to find it.

• Making Anthropology Public  On March 9, 2008 at 3:53 am

It is now up, sorry it took so long to get up. I hope the answer it to your like. I will also post some pictures that I took when I went to visit.