Where is the Anthropology?-May 2008

Here are the monthly directions if you have been paying attention or are new to the site and want to play along.  Something that I thought might help in showing the interesting ways that anthropology is all around is to presenting picture of the month. This will be of anthropology importance; a place, activity or a person that has to do with anthropology. I will give a clue a week to give everyone an opportunity to figure out what the picture is and the anthropological importance and how it applies.

Clue One: This image captures a small section of what might have been considered the “Eighth wonder of the world”. This is not located in any place called America.  This nation is well know for structures such as this.  What country is this located in and with only this clue could you tell me the name of this building?

Clue Two: Mark Twain often visited the ruins of this structure and wrote poetic thoughts of one of its most famous towers.  This is also one of the structure that has many romantic and intriguing stories for the people that go and visit this area.  Have you been able to think of where this is and the name yet?

Clue Three: This building was a pivotal player in the thirty years war.  Several centuries later, several rich noblemen wanted to added to this building and then others wanted to persevere this buildings historical importance.  This building also house the third largest barrel in Europe.  Have you been able to guess this location and building yet?

Clue Four:  OK, for anyone still working on this months picture, here is your last clue.  This castle is located in wine country even though this country is known for their beer.  This castle is located along a river and was strategically place were it was constantly under attack, but could withstand long term sieges.  This castle also as a famous bridge over the river adding to its romance and important history.  Good luck with all the clues and I will have the answer next month, give or take a few days since I will be on an Archaeology dig the next few weeks.  Enjoy.

Comments

• ashleebones  On May 2, 2008 at 5:04 am

Oh my word! I think I know it! But I am so sure of my self that I am going to wait until some other people guess and give them a chance :-D! Maybe after the second clue. How exciting! haha

• Making Anthropology Public  On May 2, 2008 at 11:20 pm

Well that is good that you feel like you know this one, so you do not think that this one is to hard.

• Chris Thompson  On May 8, 2008 at 9:38 am

Could that be Heidelberg Castle in Germany? That is a lovely picture though.

• Making Anthropology Public  On May 8, 2008 at 11:46 am

Glad to see you are working on this months picture, Chris. I figured this would be an easier one then past months and I think everyone is starting to get comfortable with trying to guess on these photo’s. This is a good guess.

• Chris  On May 27, 2008 at 8:15 pm

I still Think that it is Heidelberg Castle in Heidelberg, Germany. As an aside, The fact that they would make a Barrel that big for wine just goes to show you that Germans have never know very much about wine. Heidelberg is about 600 Km away from where I live; I have never been, but I think I might make an effort to go there some time.

• Berliner  On June 21, 2008 at 4:36 am

Somehow i missed the point. Probably lost in translation 🙂 Anyway … nice blog to visit.

cheers, Berliner!!

• Merrily McCarthy  On February 12, 2009 at 8:50 pm

Well I will guess Heildelberg Castle, although it could be somewhere else. Some information does match however, but some does not.